My Journey in Niger

Life among the Sokoto Fulani of Niger

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

all joking aside

So I have a problem. Those of you who know me know that I love to laugh. And I mean Laugh. Really loud, all the time. Laughter is the solution for just about everything, in my opinion.

Well today in Fulfulde class, Hamani told me something that the Fulani believe about laughter. Get this…

Laughter chases away good angels.

(so besides the fact that the Fulani think i will be chasing away the good angels, Hamani says they don't laugh a lot, because its just not a good thing to do)

...what am I going to do about this???

2 Comments:

  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    I'll have to think about that one, but Ms. Beth says the following: "You can tell them that where you come from we have a book that says, "A merry heart (laughter) doeth good, like medicine."" Proverbs 17:22

    We are both praying for and love you very much!

    ~Stella

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    all i know is that the Lord knew what He was doing when He sent you- one of the most joyful people on the earth (who happens to have a delightful laugh)- to a seemingly serious people group. oy, vey. i definitely don't think their mistaken ideas should have power over the joy of the Lord! laugh it up! ; )love you..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home