My Journey in Niger

Life among the Sokoto Fulani of Niger

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ticketed

Sunday evening as I exited the round point, a Nigerien police officer flagged me down (ie pulled me over.)

He walks up to me with this distraught look and asks (in French) “What did you do?”

I just look at him.

He goes on and on in French apparently explaining how I screwed up exiting the round point.

I smile & ask “Do you speak English?”

He walks away. Another policeman comes who speaks “small, small” English. He further explains to me that I failed to stop, thus not allowing oncoming traffic to enter the round point.

Whatever, I so stopped!
















I hand over all the paperwork on the truck and my driver’s license. After awhile he tickets me and keeps my license.

Today I went down to the police station to pay the fine and retrieve my license.
So what was the fine? A whopping $8 US Dollars!

I have been informed that I will likely make several more visits to the police station to pay fines, … because they will continue to find a way to ticket me. What a joy! At least the tickets are rather cheap.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    I may be going everywhere, but you my friend have better stories than I! I love you and I'm praying for you!

    ~Stella

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Peggy said…

    That happened to me in Mali...

    I prayed for you today!

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehee, you and tickets. can't seem to escape, can you my dear? i wish our tickets were a whopping $8 over here..

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Reaiah Rose said…

    well look at you already livin it up in Niger... how cool is that. we're still in training mode so i really can't wait to get back to africa and start doing what you're doing, except without the ticket...
    watch out for those round points... they're tricky.. we have some in Mali...
    @}~~}~~~

     

Post a Comment

<< Home