My Journey in Niger

Life among the Sokoto Fulani of Niger

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

in comparison

I have only been to one other African country other than Niger. As most of you know, I absolutely loved Senegal. Preparing to come to Niger, I told myself not to expect it to be the same as Senegal, though I knew there would be some similarities. Even in the first several days of being in Niamey, I have already found that Niger is quite different from Senegal. In what ways (for those of you who know of Senegal)?

There is pretty much a set rate for each taxi ride that is taken; therefore, very little need for bargaining to get a taxi.

French is totally accepted and used by nearly everyone in Niamey. Why? There are at least 4 other ethnic groups with their own language who live here. Unfortunately the Sokoto dialect of Fulfulde is not found here.

The food is no where near as spicy as Senegalese food.

It’s not humid!

Driving is so much calmer! 10 times calmer! Seriously.

There are very few places that would come close to being a “boutique” which were so very plentiful in Senegal.

Women don’t slurp when they drink tea! That’s going to take some time.

Camels rather than horses.

Many less mosquitoes. And like 400 times less flies. No joke. Here you would agree with me that there are “no” flies!

That’s all I can recall at the moment. I promise, more pictures to come!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Peggy said…

    Hey Jessica, glad you're already noticing the nuances of your new homeland! :) It's fun to find out "All Africans are NOT alike!!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home