My Journey in Niger

Life among the Sokoto Fulani of Niger

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

the first days

I’ve been in Niamey (knee-a-may) for several days now and already it feels like much longer than that. We’ve been covering a lot of “business” and getting acquainted with the city. We have been all over the place locating medical clinics, pharmacies, stores, markets, restaurants and such. I visited the doctor to have him verify that I am healthy – for paperwork to stay in Niger longer than my 3 month tourist visa. I have driven already! In less than a week I have helped change a flat tire and get us out of sand. Note: I was not the driver during either of those incidents!




















doing a bit of laundry

Pause: I just slaughtered a rather large spider scurrying across my room.















spin cycle

I attended a small Fulani worship service on Sunday morning, where the pastor spoke French which was translated into one dialect of Fulfulde. I was surprised by what French I understood; of course I understood no Fulfulde. And I was entertained by the baby chickens and hen walking about the “church.” Just today we did some “taxi”ing and bought some cloth for future clothing. I was able to learn how the taxi business works with one of my French tutors – who I will begin meeting with next week. Again, I am so thankful that I was actually able to converse with her in French.















So if I begin showing you pictures of my housing in Niamey you will say that I am not in a desert-like environment…but I assure you that I am. First, I suggest you check out the temperature here online! Second, I remind you that I am living in the IMB guest housing/office compound. It’s rather nice and very green! So don’t be fooled. No, the capital city is not a desert, but very desert-like. Very little greenery, sand and dust everywhere. Everywhere! Huge lizards everywhere. Everywhere! And I’ve heard there are spitting cobras. Thankfully, I have yet to see a snake, much less a spitting cobra. I pray that I don’t find that they are everywhere as well. The Nigeriens agree with my mother and I that “no snake is a good snake.”















one of my "friends"































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home