My Journey in Niger

Life among the Sokoto Fulani of Niger

Friday, April 28, 2006

out west

Earlier this week I headed out West to spend some time in a Fulani village with a fellow missionary. It was a great experience, as I got to learn more about the Fulani first-hand.
















This village has about 400 people, all living in grass, mud, or millet stalk huts.















Throughout the day women were at the well pumping water for their families, dishes, baths, and animals.















Inside a woman’s hut, you find her display of bowls containing their drinks and foods.

They drink a lot of fresh cow milk and water with ground millet. Everyday they eat a ground millet or corn paste with a baobob leaf sauce. They nearly never eat meat.















My audience

One day I hung out with a family, where I observed and attempted to participate in several different daily chores. At one point I took over an old ladies’ work, which was to cut millet stalk in order to make a bed. Everyone gathered around as I strained to cut the stalks with a knife that was as sharp as a butter knife.
















It’s not Lake Martin

This is a lake inside the border of Burkina Faso that is completely dried up. From afar, it looked like a full lake, but as you can see, there is not a drop of water. After the first rain, it will fill up though. It has yet to rain since I have been here, thus as you can imagine, it is very dry. Every time we cross the Niger River in Niamey, there is less and less water. Soon the river will be nearly as dry as this lake.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love the pictures. did you taste some millet/"toe"? i tell ya.. that stuff.. there are no words. I know you are enjoying it though! The sauce makes it better.

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seeing this totally makes me jealous, but I still have several years of sem, getting work experience, and B-school before I can get into where I want to go... no worries, there are Senegalese and M's here in Louisville. I'm praying for your ministry as I bide my time until I can go over once and for all!

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Stella said…

    Everything is so colorful over there. I'm loving the pictures! The attack duck is super fun as well. If you guys need anything besides prayer (cause I do that already) don't hesitate to ask. I'll get these Southerners in gear, you know how they just love projects. Love you girl!

    ~Stella

     

Post a Comment

<< Home