My Journey in Niger

Life among the Sokoto Fulani of Niger

Thursday, May 10, 2007

digging deeper

Old Man: Hi. How are you?
Me: I am well and you?
Old Man: I am well. How was your trip?
Me: It was great.
Old man: How are your parents?
Me: They are well and send their greetings to you.
Old man: How’s the heat?
Me: Oh, there is heat!
Old man: Well, come sit in the shade near the well. By the way, there are children in the well today.
Me: What?
Old man: Yes, there are children in the well today.
Me: (confused and frantic) I don’t understand. Why are children in the well? Did they fall in?
Old man: (laughing) No, they are working. Follow me and you’ll see.
Me: (greatly relieved but still concerned) Okay, let’s go.

…so off I went to the well with the old man to see just what was going on. I was quite intrigued by it all, especially considering that at first I thought I was going to have to rescue some kids who had fallen in a well!















What was going on? This particular well was hand dug awhile back but has since dried up. This particular day they begin digging the well deeper. No concrete walls, no support except for some logs at ground level. Two boys were lowered into the well with a rope. At the bottom they begin digging dirt out and putting it in baskets which were pulled up by other young men.















After the kids had been in the well a couple of hours, the old men supervising the work decided they should take a break. The boys were pulled out of the well by their friends.















Talk about hard work! I was impressed and thankful the walls of the well didn’t collapse.




















I hope you are grateful for your running water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home